Rajeh Badi, spokesperson for the new administration, told CNN that the explosions killed at least 22 people and wounded hundreds. The Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalek says that all members of the Cabinet are safe.
It is not known if missiles fired on the airport caused the blasts. Badi said CNN had not yet completed the inquiries.
Saudi Arabia, the state-run Saudi press agency reported, has alleged that the Houthi-backed Iranians are behind the explosion (SPA). The party was not found accountable.
Three staff were killed in the Aden explosion, said the International Committee of the Red Cross. Dominik Stillhart, the Director of Operations at the ICRC said that “This is a tragic day for the ICRC and for the people of Yemen,”
The Yemeni press channel, Belqees TV, announced that reporter Adeeb al-Ganabi was killed during the airport explosion and that at least ten other journalists working on the historical approach were injured. Moammer al-Iryany said that they were killed in the airport blast.
The Coalition intercepted and dropped an explosive Houthi Drone on Wednesday that targets presidential Al-Maashiq Palace in Aden according to SPA, Col. Turki Al-Malki, spokesman for the Yemeni coalition headed by Saudi Arabia told the SPA.
Reaction on Attack
Al-Malki said that during the airport strike, the drone dropping ‘confirms the responsibility’ of the Houthi militia.
Al-Malki said in a statement on SPA that “The attempt to assassinate the Yemeni Cabinet is an attempt to thwart the Riyadh Agreement, which Yemeni people have adopted as a path toward unification of ranks, restoration of normal life, security and stability and a roadmap to reaching a comprehensive political solution in Yemen,”
In the past, Muammar Al Eryani, Minister of Information in Yemen accused the Houthi rebels of the blast.
Hundreds assembled before the assault at the airport for the government’s arrival, which was sworn in last week in Saudi Arabia.
One of its workers has been killed, three wounded and two others were not accounted for after the blasts, said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
The ICRC said on Twitter, “We and the citizens of Yemen were transiting through the airport with other civilians. ‘We give the families of the victims our heartfelt condolences, and hope that any one wounded will recover soon.’
The moment of the attack was seen by video from Saudi Al Arabiya channel: a heavy boom was accompanied by gunshots. Blowing from the terminal building, smoke was detected.
According to video from Saudi State broadcaster Al-Ekhbraiya, the attack left a massive hole in the ground and caused significant damage to the airport hall.
“The cowardly terrorist act that targeted Aden airport is part of the war being waged against the Yemeni state and our great people, and it will only increase our insistence on fulfilling our duties until the coup is ended, the state is restored and stability,”
Martin Griffiths criticized the attack on Twitter by the United Nations Ambassador to Yemen. “This unacceptable act of violence remembrances the need to bring Yemen back to the peace road urgently,” he said. “I hope that the cabinet will be very strong to face up to the tough tasks ahead.”
One official in the United States Department said that he “are aware of the reports of the attacks in Aden and are saddened by the reports of casualties and injuries.”
“The United States supports the Yemeni Government and stands with the Yemeni people,” said the official.
The Southern Transitional Council of Yemen and the current government sponsored by the Saudi regime declared the new Cabinet last week in order to bring an end to a power struggle.
Both sides participate in a lengthy civil war with Iran’s supported Houthi rebels, supported by Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates. The war has cost thousands of lives and caused a humanitarian crisis in the region.